A New Offer

We made an offer on another house today. When we originally started our search we had the attitude of let’s find some land where we can build a house. That changed after we realized that we would need to sell our house in order to buy the land. Our next approach was to find some land with a house on it, fix up the house, split the land and build a new one on the new parcel. Well we tried to make that work and it did not. So we changed our approach once more to let’s find a much bigger house that is in great condition and is in a neighborhood where the little one can play. While this attitude does require that we fork over a little more money it will be worth it because I will not have to work on the house other than to improve things here and there at my own pace. To see this house, click here and put this number :MLS # 10036788 in the search box (upper left hand corner) and click the big blue GO! button. Hopefully that works. The house is in town and only comes with .24 acres but it is in move-in condition and the value that we gain in comfort will be more than worth the price difference. We are hoping that they at least counter and don’t outright reject our offer . We already made one offer on this house and they rejected it because we put in a contingency of the sale of our house. Since they have already moved I guess they felt that they could not take a chance on us selling our house. So this is actually our second offer and we have removed the sale of our house contingency because we feel that our house is in a price range that will not be hard to sell. We also have the nicest house on the street now as far as comfort and curb appeal go. It is just too small for Seja and I now that we have the little one and family out of town. There is no longer a guest room so we have to put people up on the couch or on a blow up mattress in the office – too tight. I will keep you posted. Wish us luck.

One reply on “A New Offer”

[…] I will start with an apology to everyone who has been waiting for an update on what’s going on with us. I have tried several times to post and have either gotten distracted or have fallen asleep while writing. A lot has happened since my last post and I will try to make this as succinct as possible. If you haven’t bought a house before it is kind of like a game where the seller sets up an asking price and then the buyer offers something lower so that the two can engage in a negotiation until both parties agree or one walks away. The offer that I last wrote about, yeah, it was rejected outright because they didn’t want a contingency of the sale of our house. While I can understand that they don’t want to have that kind of contingency in the offer why couldn’t they have just countered? Well we really like the house so we made another offer and this time it was the same price but without the contingency of the sale of our house. Again it was rejected without any counter offer. While we knew it was a little low it was not offensive by any means so we were really confused. At this point I just wanted to bypass the realtors and sit down with the owner because I’m sure we could have come to a conclusion in about 30 to 40 minutes instead of dragging it out over a week. Anyway our realtor thought something was fishy at this point so she decided to call the office of the seller’s realtor and see what was going on. It turns out that the seller’s realtor is not a very good realtor and actually was a nurse in her previuos career so she has this attitude of I used to help save lives so this home buying stuff is nothing. We have since talked to some other people that have dealt with her and it is confirmed that she is crazy. I am not going to tell you her name but if you look at the house on the MLS and you notice that the realtor is Jeanne Walters – she is awesome – I want you to know that it is not her but one of her employees. So we put in a third offer and if that one was rejected then my thoughts were that we were not supposed to have the house. As it turns out after our realtor talked to Jeanne about the situation and a conversation that I had with a friend of ours that works for Jeanne, they accepted our offer which was contingent upon financing and upon inspection. Wooo Hooo! Finally, they act like they want to sell their house. The next hurdle was the financing because I am now self-employed. The banks are afraid to lend money to someone who has not been employed for at least two years straight with the same company let alone someone who owns their own company. Luckily our credit scores are super good so we were able to use that as leverage. I could go on about the bank but we have the loan so I am going to leave it alone now, but damn. I did the inspection on Thursday and everything turned out to be just fine. The current owner had all new duct work put in as well as new plumbing. That will save us tons of money and headache. The only thing I noticed was I will have to fix one rafter section in the roof of the add-on. They split the ridge board right their but did not put in a proper collar-tie. An easy fix but annoying none-the-less. So after all of that, plus some BS that I left out, we are supposed to close on September 16th. Since the current owners have moved out already we will probably take possession that same day. Our house went on the market after our second offer but not with a realtor. We are going to first try our hand at selling it ourselves. This is the third week that it has been on the market and we are having an open house today from 1-4. We have had several people call, and stop by but no one has bitten yet. Hopefully we’ll have some luck the open house. Whew, I got through that all right so now I will try to post a bunch of pictures of Madeline, The House, and The Building. There have been a lot of changes in all three. We also went on a little 5 day vacation and I have some photos from that as well. It was on a lake house in Michigan, no, not lake Michigan, but a little lake called Lake Gilead which is about one hour East of South Bend, IN. It is about 23 acres which is big enough to ski on but also not too intimidating to cruise around in paddle or row boats. The women who rented the cabin to my in-laws had a nice ski boat, a pontoon, 2 waverunners, and 1 jet-ski. I had never been on jet ski until then and it is a full body work out. If you have never tried one out I highly recommend it. You will be frustrated at first but when you finally get up on it you will have a blast. I took that thing out two days in a row and was utterly exhausted after each outing. The wave-runners are cool but they lose their appeal really fast because it is like riding a four-wheeler on the water but without the fear of breaking something. It just goes fast and that is it. It was a most welcomed break and everybody had such a good time I think we are going to do it again next year. I will post when I update the pictures. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.